Start Your Healthcare Career as a Medical Assistant
Begin preparing today for an exciting, challenging and rewarding career as a Medical Assistant! Our program will train students to assist physicians by performing functions related to the clinical responsibilities of a medical office. Instruction includes preparing patients for examination and treatment, routine laboratory procedures, diagnostic testing, technical aspects of phlebotomy and the cardiac life cycle. Students will review important topics including phlebotomy, pharmacology, the proper use and administration of medications, taking and documenting vital signs, cardiology including proper lead placements, a professional workplace behavior, ethics and the legal aspects of healthcare.
Career Overview Medical Assistant (CCMA)
Medical Assistants complete administrative and clinical tasks in the offices of physicians, podiatrists, chiropractors, and other health practitioners. Their duties vary with the location, specialty, and size of the practice.
Job Duties may include:
- Taking patient vital signs and history;
- Disposing of contaminated supplies;
- Giving patient injections as directed by the physician;
- Sterilizing medical instruments;
- Administering and instructing patients about medication or special diets;
- Preparing patients for x-rays;
- Preparing blood for and performing laboratory tests;
- Removing stitches, drawing blood, and changing dressings;
- Electrocardiography; and
- Assisting physicians with patient exams and minor surgery.
- Career Readiness Certificate (CRC)
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) – BLS (Optional)
- Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA)